Wonder Woman

So for the past several days I've had some sort of bug...  my stomach was all upset, my head and body hurt.  And honestly I was a bit cranky, couldn't go to work and spent most of the day on my sofa under the covers... which meant that not much got down around the house.

Some may call this selective memory - but...
thinking back to when I was young... I don't remember my mom being sick.  Hmmmm well let me re-phrase that... I don't remember seeing my mom sick.  I am sure she is not some sort of alien that is immune to everything and anything... but as I try hard to think of a time that I saw her dragging herself or not being able to function, I can't remember a day.  The most I remember hearing her complain about was her allergies.  She used to suffer from bad allergies - but she kept going.  And if she was sick, none of us knew it.

The house was always cleaned, clothes washed, dried and pressed, the beds were always made, snacks ready when we got home from school and dinner made.

I sit here and as I think back to all of what my mom did - I am in awe... its funny how when we are young we don't "see" it or appreciate it.  I know I am one that came to appreciate my mom not too long ago. You are thankful and stuff - but its different, its that deep sense of appreciation.  Hard to explain I guess.   You think that moms are just supposed to do certain things or that it comes natural to them - like patience... but now that my daughter is growing up and giving me the looks and the comments and being a "pre-teen" - in between loving me - I think back at my mom and wow - she was an incredible woman... a Wonder Woman who loved us and did everything in her power to make sure we were always well taken care of.  My mom with her level of education - was the Guardian of her Home (had to borrow that Marlene), a babysitter, teacher, a psychologist, nutritionist, a friend, visited those who were sick or the family members of those who had passed away, a personal shopper, a cook, a baker, a party planner, a photographer, etc., etc... and the list goes on.

And in the midst of all that - I never remember "seeing" her sick... but always thinking of others before herself. Thanks mom for all you did for me and others.  I love you...