Marriage...

My sister in Christ, Ligia has a blog Mary or Martha. In one of her entries she listed "7 things that she learned about herself in 2010".  Point #1 really struck me:

"That its ok to share with others that I am in a happy marriage. For some reason I feel guilty about this. so here goes...My husband is my best friend. He is uniquely special and makes me feel like I am the most beautiful and important person in his life. Trust me I know now how rare that is. I learned that I need to say that more often and not hide it to make other people feel comfortable."

After reading this several times - I realized that its true... we brag about the awesome pair of shoes we got, or the fabulous hair cut and color, we share about the great deal we just got or how delicious that food was... but why don't we say anything about our happy marriage?  Why is that the world's best kept secret?  I do have to agree with Ligia, I don't share this too often but I have also learned to say it more.  Not that my husband is perfect or we have a perfect marriage - but my husband is a prayer that was answered many many years ago - God knew exactly who I need as my husband and He bought Ray to my life.

Maybe you are going through some bumps in the road... or facing some issues... How can you make your marriage happier, more fulfilling?

John Piper, a preacher and author, took a leave of absence for eight months of year (May–December), he was free from all his pastoral duties and upon his return he posted a report on his leave of absence. In this report he shared about his marriage to his wife Noel... and he listed several points that have helped his marriage and which I have prayed upon and meditated on in regards to my own marriage:  "The upshot for our marriage of this sanctifying work has been:"
  1. less withdrawal, more engagement,
  2. less moodiness and sullenness, more hope-filled emotions,
  3. less brooding over past disappointments, more dreaming from God’s promises,
  4. less of a critical spirit, more verbal affirmation,
  5. more tenderness, kindness, and touch,
  6. more intentional time together,
  7. more patience with (genetic?) personality traits without assuming sin,
  8. more of a spirit of forgiveness,
  9. more gratitude and less taking for granted,
  10. more courage to name sins (our own and each other’s) without sounding hopeless or condemning,
  11. a fresh sense of God’s gracious fatherhood over us, who, when he disapproves, does not hold us in contempt—and our learning to do this for each other.
He writes:  Relationally, perhaps the most crucial text has been Ephesians 4:31–5:2.
Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

In working on these different areas - we not only improve our relationship with our husband... but we also share a very important lesson with our children... Our children learn in seeing us live the life... its easy to talk the talk... but what do they really see when they look at us? Do they see us live the life we so often talk about? What are they learning about depending on God, about loving another person, ... about depending on God with things get tough...

I love my husband... he is an answered prayer... a gift from God...  Thank you Jesus!!!!