Fruits and Work

Photo by Emmanuel Gundran
Wow what a week!!! It started off a little bumpy, well alot bumpy -  but we got into some smooth sailing.

I am happy to say that dinner was completed for the whole week (with the exception of Monday and Friday). The Sweet Citrus Chicken was yummy.... different but good, I tried a new meatballs menu which was also yummy!!! So I'm happy to be able to add a couple of new items to the Cabrera Menu. The kitchen was clean all week - I was able to keep the countertops free of clutter!!! And so was the living room and bathroom. Even Priscilla was into making sure her room was clean and her bed done.

I realized that it took work. It wasn't about just lounging around but active work, keeping on top of things. Tonight I sit here and look around and it looks a little crazy... it was Ray's birthday today so we spent the day celebrating him, and tomorrow will be Part II and Sunday is church. So Monday we will start all over again... but I'm excited. I'm excited because even the kids are into it (sometimes they need some "encouragement" but they seem motivated).

All week long the Lord was speaking to me through Galatians 5:23, 24 - But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. And Colossians 3:23 - Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.

I realized that I needed so much more of the of the fruits of the Spirit so that my house could be a home... and in doing these things remembering that whatever I do, whether it be laundry, vacumming, washing dishes or scrubbing the floors... I have to do it with all my heart as working for the Lord, not for men.... Even though I am sure it would make my hubby and children happy - it does bring me so much more joy to know that in creating my home, I am serving the Lord.

Tonight during youth group - I shared these thoughts with the Jr. High School girls.  We have to make sure that they realize that we are not perfect and that we don't have it all well put together nicely and neatly - but that we are trying, but not just sort of trying - but a trying with action.  Again - its easy to talk the talk - but what do our kids see / hear us doing... do they see us exhibiting those fruits of the Spirit?  Do they see us working with all of our heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.   

Isn't it wonderful when we experience a light bulb moment... when the Holy Spirit speaks clearly to our hearts and we get it.  Yep that is what happened.  Its not so much that I have a chore list for the kids and expecting them to do it... yes it will get done... but have I taught them "how"?  That is the most important lesson.  

I guess I'm back to square one.  Gotta to revamp my chore list.  I have to begin by learning the basics - its not how you hold the mop, how the beds are made, or if the clothes are folded neatly... Its about integrating the Fruits of the Spirit and doing it for the Lord - with praises on our lips for Him.