Producing...

Several days ago I was reading a blog written by my sister in Christ, Ligia.
(http://ligia-cwm.blogspot.com/2011/01/wow-god-wednesday.html)  The following excerpt from her blog really struck me. It reads:
Picture by Emmanuel Gundran

"my wow moment happened in a conversation 
that i had with my dear friend Jennifer. She was sharing her thoughts on the book by Chip Ingram entitled "Effective Parenting In a Defective World". As I have been reading Mr. Ingrams book I find that our goal for parenting Jaden should be more about modeling the person we want him to be. 

In his book Mr. Ingram says “Remember that you are not called to produce successful, upwardly mobile, highly educated, athletically talented machines… Giving your children great opportunities is good; it is not, however, the goal of parenting. Christlikeness is. Above all, seek to raise children who look and act a lot like Jesus.” Chip Ingram, Effective Parenting in a Defective World (Tyndale, 2006)"

This is so very true... but it makes me think... isn't it easier to produce successful, upwardly mobile, highly educated, athletically talented children? How hard can it be... drive them here or there to different activities, cheer them on... and keep pushing them, to miss church, not read the Word because everyone is too busy.  (Please note that I do believe that helping your children strive, giving them opportunities, helping them succeed is not a bad thing, but there has to be more to it).  When I say that it must be easier - its because when I read the second part of that statement "that we should seek to raise children who look and act alot like Jesus" that would mean that they would need to see that also displayed and modeled in us. Not just by the Pastor, deacons, ministry leaders... but by us, their parents. How we talk, dress, behave, what we watch on t.v., listen to on the radio, treat others... etc., etc. How much are we willing to let go of, change, sacrifice, not just for us - but as examples to our children. 

It doesn't happen overnight, or a couple of days, or months... its not a magic pill or a magic wand. Its one day at a time, its seeking Him, praying, reading the Word... Its hard - I know it is for me... alot of times I stumble and am not a model of Jesus... but Praise God that He doesn't give up on us... we are like children in His eyes... and He keeps loving us... In those tough moments - let us take a deep breath, focus our eyes on Him and let our children see Jesus in us...