School Days...

So its snowing today... ughhh.  I love the snow when its falling and its all beautiful, to go out and make our famous snowman or snow angels!!!  But ughhhh when it turns to slush or ice and people forget how to drive or park... and then all the shovling - ahhhhhh!!!!! Total chaos, it no longer fun

Well if would have just called my dad last night - I would have known to keep my kiddies home today.  Last night people were posting on Facebook that either schools were closed or had early dismissal.  I kept checking online to see if Wallington had any change.  But nope nothing.

Early this morning I checked one more time and even called the school and yep it was normal schedule. So of all days to be the good mom - I bundled up my kids and sent them off to school.  As I looked outside several minutes later there was all this snow, I went into a panic. I was at the school by 9:30 picking them up to bring them back home.

So here we are all nice and warm... watching Hi-5!!!.

As I sit here watching my kids dancing around and enjoying themselves, I then think back as to how much life has changed.  When I was younger - there was no such thing as a mental health day.  My mom would have sent us to school in a blizzard, or the middle of a hurricane.  There was no such thing as staying home for fun, or being picked up early unless there was a call from the school or an advisory on tv and even then I don't think she thought it was a big deal.

There were days thay maybe one of us would wake up not feeling well but if there was no fever.... mom would line us up for our daily famous medicinal cure - Scott's Emulsion.... white cod liver oil. My mom swore by this, this was the cure all.  And off to school we went.  I guess it was pretty cool at the end of the school year and we received our diploma for perfect attendance.

Hmmm... but is that perfect attendance that important???  I think not.  These are the memories we'll talk about several years from now.  So for now - dance on kids!!!  Its a snow day at our house!!!