On the Eve of the First Day of School

I can't believe that the Summer flew right past us and now it is the eve of the first day of school. These days are special in our home... even though its stressful and tense I try my best to make them memorable... its where more memories are created and traditions are passed down.

I remember how important it was when I was young. How my mom would give us those extra special baths... and condition our hair and then blow dry it and set it with colorful ribbons so it would be perfect the next morning. She would rub lotion on us and fix our new shoes which we got at St. Joseph's each and every year... our clothes would be ironed and ready with our new socks and underwear... our bookbags would be all lined up and ready to go.

Today when the kids woke up they were excited to see what was planned for today!!! So of course we did our last minute running around to get those last minute details... and when dad got home we took them out to eat at Bobby's Burger Palace... did some more last minute shopping... came home watched a movie and then I gave them those extra special baths... the hair was conditioned and instead of setting it in colorful ribbons I got out my blow dyer and did the girls hair (I could never do this as a profession)... but they were both so happy flinging their heads back and forth and enjoying that fresh blow dried bounce. I got out the lotion and lined all three of them up and gave them that extra special massage while they squirmed and giggled!! They were all excited with their new clothes, shoes, socks and underwear... the bookbags are all lined up and ready to go.

Before they went to bed they came together for our prayers... and we held hands and prayed for their first day of school, their teachers and classmates and for each one of them...

Oh how time flies by... A yearly "tradition" I also have with them is brag how BIG they are getting... and each year I remind them of how tiny they were when they were born... and I show them how they fit on a little pillow... and how sweet they smelled... and how I would kiss each one of them on their nose and snuggle with them... They love hearing those stories... and then we cuddle up...

Its passing on that love that makes all the difference in the world... one day my children will be preparing their sons and daughters for the first day of school and they will be passing on these moments and this is the legacy that I want to pass on...

A new school year begins - with all the challenges and excitement... we send them off... and then we plan for the First Day of School Party!!!  We can never have too many celebrations at our home!!!