A hug that soothed my soul...

In this world there are huggers and then there are "huggers"...

I think I'm a hugger... I love to give hugs and to receive them. It wasn't always this way - I tended to shy away from hugs - unless my father was giving the hugs... there was no way to shy away from those...they tended to be massive...lol

I have a friend - Rebekah and oh goodness gracious that woman was born to hug... she is a "hugger" no Rebekah is a "HUGGER"... you can fall into her arms and whatever you are going through feels so much better after her hug... she could hug you when you are happy and its a jiggly hug... or you can hug her when you are sad and its all good and soothed.

I don't know why but I have this odd relationship with my mom... I know one day the "why" will be answered but I know without a doubt that she loves me in her own special way... just like I love her in my own special way... yes we are two special women!!! But our hugs have consisted of those hello type of hugs and those quick pecks on the cheek... we have never really been too physically affectionate towards each other. 


Through the years its taken some effort on my part not to continue that type of relationship with my daughter Elizabeth. Each day I have to make a conscious effort to show her love and affection... not just say it or assume that she knows but show her. To make sure that I hug her, hold her hand, verbally encourage her, verbally compliment her and of course give her those loud mushy kisses - to make sure I don't take those "things" for granted. I'm doing it now more than ever because I see how quickly time is passing by... and if I'm not careful that time may come where I may not be able to do it if you know what I mean... and my little girl isn't that little anymore... we almost see eye to eye which is pretty scary. 

But going back to hugging... today God knew what I needed. And it wasn't a hug from my darling husband Ray, or my friends Kathy who has been doing really good at hugging more, Jen who is very very pregnant and has to hug sideways or Rebekah the natural born "hugger"... He knew I needed my mom.

Today, me and the kids met up with her... Elizabeth was going to spend the weekend at the city, so instead of us driving to the city, she decided to meet us at the mall. When Elizabeth saw her - she ran towards her and jumped into her arms... Caleb and Priscilla ran right behind her... I thought they were going to knock her down.

And then my mom reached me... and it happened... it wasn't a hello hug... or one of those courtesy hugs... it was a hug. I truly do not remember the last time we hugged that way... we hugged and I felt like a little girl being held in my moms arms and protected from the world... and I kissed her teared up cheek... I was able to smell my mom's smell... I was able to feel her heart... and her love... and I knew it was a God thing because she didn't give me the mom speech about how I've been lost and how she forgot what I looked like... she just smiled at me and I kissed her again.

God is so good - He knew what I needed and what was going to soothe my soul and remind me of His love... if I could bottle up that moment - but maybe its a good thing if I can't bottle it up - I feel as if now I can go back for more... I've been praying so much for this moment and I see this as an answered prayer and a door being opened for wonderful things between me and my mom!!! Thank you Jesus - for always knowing what my heart needs...