Trust and Obey

This past Sunday, Pastor preached on Psalm 37... and you see my life verse is Psalm 37:4 - "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart" is one of the verses in this Psalm. Pastor titled his message "A Song for Troubled Hearts".  I was so blessed to be able to capture so many new points to this Psalm. I hope to be able to share the video of his message and my notes tomorrow with you.

This verse is so special to me because when I first came to the Lord - this was one of the first verses my spiritual mom shared with me and the moment I first heard it I claimed it as my own. There are many other verses I love and hold close to my heart - but this was the very first verse that I memorized and which spoke to me. I made that promise personal. By delighting in Him, trusting in Him, committing my way to Him, and waiting on Him, yes, He would give me the desires of my heart. Scripture tells us He will. But God's timing may not be our timing. So I found my joy in Him, my pleasure in discovering more about Him and following His will.... not in what the world was offering me - I put Him first above all things (and I mean all things including my own family).  In His perfect time... He would -not that He might - give me the desires of my heart.

Now the tricky part is "the desires of your heart"... The Lord was not going to fulfill my list of "wants and needs"... He promised to give me the desires of my heart - those things that would bring honor and glory to Him... those things that would bring me closer to Him... The closer I got to my Lord and Savior - those desires that I thought I had were no longer the same... the desires of my heart were now to learn more, grow more... surround myself with believers... the cost, the price was a high one... but it was nothing compared to the price my Lord and Savior paid for me. How true the famous hymn writer was when he wrote the words "Trust and obey for there is no other way to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey" (John H. Sammis). Because that is the key to the Christian life. You will never be sorry for trusting and obeying and waiting on Him. 


*And just a tid bit of information on this hymn which is an interesting one: "In 1887, just following an evangelistic meeting held by Dwight L. Moody, a young man stood to share his story in an after-service testimony meeting. As he was speaking, it became clear to many that he knew little about the Bible or acceptable Christian doctrine. His closing lines, however, spoke volumes to seasoned and new believers alike: I'm not quite sure. But I'm going to trust, and I'm going to obey. Daniel Towner was so struck by the power of those simple words that he quickly jotted them down, then delivered them to John Sammis, who developed the lyrics to Trust and Obey. Towner composed the music and the song quickly became a favorite." Sharefaith.com

Trust that the Lord will give you the desires of your heart - those and so much more... and those desires may even be different desires than what you thought you had... but my friend you will never regret it the decision to trusting and obeying Him... The Lord has extraordinary plans for you and me when we simply put Him first!!! 


"Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, To him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20-21N ESV).