As they move on...

Photo by Emmanuel Gundran
Last night my husband wanted to have a goodbye BBQ for three special young ladies who have touched our hearts - Katie Watkins, Patricia Angeles and Elizabeth Arias and which in the next week will be leaving to school.

As I write this my heart does that thing where its feels like it is overflowing - but its my eyes that fill with tears.

For the past many years I have been blessed to be married to the Youth Director at our church - which meant that I was blessed to be able to help him in whatever he needed me to do. This was never truly a job but it was a part of our lives, a part of our family.

When we are introduced into these young lives they are entering 6th grade... when they leave they are preparing to enter college - and its hard because they enter our hearts, our lives and then the time comes where we must let them go.

It was so funny watching them yesterday and listening to their conversations and feeling their excitement... they were no longer those awkward 6th graders... but these beautiful young ladies - they were beaming at the beginning of their new stage in life. So they tell me not to be sad - that they will be back to visit, that they love us, and all those sweet words - but letting go is so hard to do and even though they are not our children, we are beyond blessed that their parents have trusted us so much to allow us to be a part of their lives and to be a part of our family. As the mother hen - I want to be able to bottle up all of our love for them, all of our prayers, hugs and kisses... so when they find themselves alone, struggling, afraid... they can open it up and be surrounded by love... and know they are loved.

It is such an incredible blessing to see how these young ladies have grown and been such a tremendous blessing in our lives and the lives of so many. To see how they have grown spiritually and ministered to others and how they have been such a wonderful example to those around them.

My husband is not an emotional guy... but he has a heart filled with love for these young ladies. ...

My dear beautiful ones - always always remember these three things: remember who you are and whose you are... “you is kind. you is smart. you is important.”(Kathryn Stockett, The Help) and - you are loved beyond words...


There is this song that I have dedicated to my son Ben and I also want to dedicate to you three:  Mark Harris - Wings to Fly.



And my darling ones - I am sure that these are also the words your parents pray for you always:

I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams
And that faith gives you the courage
To dare to do great things
I'm here for you whatever this life brings
So let my love give you roots
And help you find your wings
We love you...