Today's Hug

22 years ago I gave birth to this is tiny little boy... in May he'll turn 23... He was this skinny little baby.  My mom swore he was the ugliest baby she had ever seen.  

Today while I was helping out in the kitchen at church - he came over to show me something... I couldn't step away but I'm glad I didn't...  because at that moment I hugged him and he wrapped his arms around me and I was enveloped in him.  It was when I realized that my baby - was taller than I was and had arms that went all around me (and mind you I'm not a skinny person)...

He is not shy of hugging his mom and has done so often...  but tonight I sit here and think back on that hug.  He is probably sleeping now or watching some basketball game... but he doesn't know how much that hug meant to me. With all our ups and downs, all those nutty moments, the tough ones, funny ones, painful ones... my son hugged me today and today my heart melted, it was priceless and how I longed to have bottled it up... 

I am reminded of my favorite book that I would read to time ever since I was pregnant with him... "Love You Forever".  I still have the book... its starting to fall apart... but there is one song that she sings to her baby boy:
I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always,
As long as I’m living
My baby you’ll be

Its funny how a hug melts right through us and reaches our heart...