Coloring

This weekend as we rushed through K-Mart we decided to pick up coloring books for the kids... Elizabeth and Priscilla chose Barbie themed and Caleb of course went for the superheros...

We got home and I didn't know how enjoyable it would be seeing them color so intensely... the effort and the concentration that went into it. It bought back so many memories of my sister Elizabeth...  Elizabeth is my stepsister... my dad's daughter...  I have always looked up to her.  She was tall and skinny and beautiful.  She had this great big smile and had beautiful dark hair and wore those Farrah Fawcett type heels.  She didn't live with us but would come and visit from time to time.

One of my fondest memories with her was coloring. Her secret was pressing down hard on the lines and then with the same color of crayon, color softly on the inside...  I would oooh and ahhhh as she would color... and then try and imitate her.  And then to finish her masterpiece, she would put her signature on her page - and she had the prettiest script...

Yesterday Priscilla invited me to color one of the pages in her book... she of course chose the colors because she is an expert in Barbie Princesses... and as I colored and followed the instructions given to me - I thought back to my sister... something as simple as coloring can leave the most beautiful memories that bring a smile to our face and that we cherish forever...

My sister taught me many things that I hold dear to my heart... to appreciate coloring was one of them...