Que Pasa with these girls???

Today while driving to work I spotted two young girls - maybe 16 years old walking to school dressed provocatively and smoking.

I had to looked several times to make sure that I saw what I saw... now it was not just the way they were dressed but the fact that they were smoking!!

Did these parents know that their young daughters are smoking!!???!!!  Don't these girls have any fear of being caught??!!??  Don't they know the health risks???  How did they get it?   People wonder what is happening with the youth.  They want to blame it on the schools, teachers, friends, society, etc... but no parent wants to take the blame for anything that happens to their kids. Children no long fear their parents but parents are scared of their children!!

Gosh I really think that with each year that passes by I'm starting to sound like my mom lol!!!  When I was young she let me be sort of fashionable... but it was stuff that she approved.  From tops, to jeans, to sneakers to shoes.  Even when it came to makeup she was tough on that... I remember when I was in the 8th grade and I "stole" one of her eyebrow pencils... LOL - the memory still cracks me up... I almost took out an eye trying to apply that stuff...  it didn't go on smoothly at all LOL... and then to try and remove it before I got home so she wouldn't notice - I realized it was way to much work for a little bit of eyeliner... Oh the consequences!!!  But everything was in stages... there was a time for everything... heels, makeup, hair, etc...  I don't think I was ever "deprived".  

My dad was a smoker and a drinker... but he made it very clear that it was not for us...  Yeah maybe a little hypocritical... but it was made clear that we were not to pick up a cigarette or a drink. 

My daughter is 10 and she is growing up quickly, its scary...  she knows that smoking is not even a consideration, nor is drinking. We talk about it with every opportunity I see present itself.  Even though she wants to be very very fashionable - I hold those reigns tight...  And constantly remind her that even though it might appear cute and she would love to do it, we both have to remember that she is only - yes only 10, not 12, or 14...   All this didn't just happen yesterday, but many many years ago...  I have been teaching her that her body is a temple of the Holy Spirit... she is a princess - God's princess... therefore she has to act, dress and behave a certain way and these are non negotiable and she knows it.  Sometimes its hard for her to understand and she gets upset but I keep explaining it over and over to her again... If I give in now at 10... in a year from now how can I pull back?  I know this might all change and each year will bring its challenges... but at least she is aware that actions will have consequences - in love of course...