Hurry Up...

I love reading... but what I love more is when God in His perfect timing - brings to the forefront of my mind and heart those things I have read, whether its ministering to someone, talking to my 12 year old daughter whose going on 21, or something I'm working on in my life. Its like an OH MY GOODNESS moment - my friend would call them light-bulb moments.

Wow - today was one of those moments and its just stopped me right in the middle of the sidewalk. 
  
Several days ago I read an article about a mom who was going to try and stop telling her precious daughter to hurry up. You see the mom's life consisted of rushing from here to there - like many of us. Well she had a beautiful daughter who had a laid back, carefree personality - who wasn't really into rushing but into admiring things around her, taking in nature, saying hi to an elderly lady who reminded her of her grandmother. She enjoyed picking a favorite purse before going out or helping with breakfast... oh how I know that feeling - when you need to rush out the door and my of my kids is "getting ready". Ahhhhhhh!!!!!

When you live life distracted, you have tunnel vision - only looking ahead to what's next on the agenda. And anything that cannot be checked off the list is a waste of time.

Have you ever caught yourself doing this... I know I have - many many times... and today was one of those days.
Today we went out as a family - the beginning of our family vacation!!! So there was no need to rush - we are on vacation, its a beautiful Saturday afternoon!! We went out to the movies and had a GREAT time!!! Walking toward the car my darling Priscilla was lagging behind... and I repeated to her - come on hurry up - over and over again... 


At one point she pointed out - "mommy look at all those tiny birds hiding in the bush" she stopped and started talking about the pigeons by mama's house in NYC and I caught myself saying "Priscilla come on"... and before the words hurry up came out of my mouth - God was reminding me of the article I had read and about taking the time to appreciate life through my daughters eyes.

So I stopped and searched for the tiny birds hiding in the bush. While she began to admire a small "baby" tree.

I loved how the author said - The truth hurts, but the truth heals... and brings me closer to the parent I want to be.

Each of my children are so very different... and they are such precious gifts from God. They are growing sooo fast and I'm finding that its time stop to checking something off the list, staring at a screen, or rushing off to the next destination because the hands of the clock can't be turned back. 

How about you...  what are you trying to hurry up... and what is God saying to you...