Floating

When I was young, the tradition was to get up early each Sunday morning, the family would pack up into my dad's car and take the trip to Connecticut, to this beautiful beach.

As I have mentioned before, my mom wears many many hats. This Sunday, she was a Swim Instructor. While in the water, my mom decided that she was going to teach us to swim (mind you - the woman doesn't know how to swim - or even likes the water too much, she has a slight "fear" of it). Her lesson consisted of telling us to move our hands and kick our feet... simple enough lol!!!  One Sunday, the lesson was how to float. While waist deep in the water - she told us to lie back. WHAT!!??! She had made it sound so simple - just fall back into the water... did she not understand the concept of drowning. She put out her arms and said "lie back"... okay well with her arms out of course that wouldn't be a problem. And back I went.... but all of a sudden she would start removing her hands and sinking down I went!! Was this lady nuts!!! AHHHHH!!!

Again we tried, keep your head back and pretend you have a string in your belly button pulling you up... slowly I would feel her hands begin to move from my back and I would begin sinking... and again and again we tried until one Sunday I got it. I was able to float and what an awesome experience that was. I loved it. I loved the peace I felt - until a wave came crashing on top of me!!!UGHHHHH Yuck!!
Floating - is something I am teaching my daughter... but teaching her to "spiritually float". Yes, I took after my mom and taught her to float and she got it - but I took it a step further... I can just see my husband's face while he reads this...

No no its not a crazy teaching... I'm not going out there and being all nutty... honey keep reading - there is a point to this - I promise!! this is my lesson to her:

When life gets crazy, when something makes you upset, hurts your feelings, gets you confused... our first reaction is to get angry... and lash out... (now this doesn't just pertain to a 12 year old... I feel it pertains to all of us - that is why I used myself as an example to her.)

I love the beach - when its not too hot or too crowded or too sandy (you know what I mean). That perfect day... when you actually get to enjoy your time at the beach... lovely, just awesome!!!

Well there are those moments in that perfect beach outing, when you are in the water, having fun and a wave comes and knocks you off your feet. Ughhhh I really don't like those. I get very panicky and scared. For those of you that know me know that I have a very creative mind - so in seconds - in my own mind I start creating a dramatic episode in some movie that I'm starring in. Yes it is funny... my nutty side thinks that my whole life is a movie and He is being constantly entertained by me. Sooo going back to "drowning" when you are under and you open you eyes - its all cloudy and sand all over the place, you have no idea where you are at. You are wailing your arms all over the place and just exhausting yourself. You make it very difficult for someone to help you... and mind you this is happening in waist deep water!!! Ay ay ay!!!! Well my mom - who remember is a "Swim Instructor" taught that in those moments try and relax and float. Easier said than done... but surprisingly enough it does work.

That is the life lesson and I have been teaching it to my daughter. You see when life happens and you are not happy with what is going on... how are you going to hear God's voice if you are complaining and getting upset and huffing and puffing and just working yourself up into a frenzy... I remember a good friend of mine Gerri saying that God is a gentleman - you see He will not come in unless he is invited. God gives us the power of choice, you can choose if you want him to come in or not. If you want to get upset - He is not going to stop you, if you want to get angry - He is not going to stop you, if you want to huff and puff - go right ahead. So the lesson is instead of reacting like you are drowning... stop and relax and float... float yes float... Personally it is the most relaxing feeling - knowing that this water, this liquid is sustaining you - its this peaceful sense that envelopes you... In the same way, stop and go to a silent place, whether its the bathroom, your bed, or even a closet... and close your eyes and breathe. Its a hard place to get to - but its not impossible.  Think of the pros and cons... if we continue to get upset - we will say something that will get us into trouble, we will hurt the other person or even ourselves... we will do something we will regret... we will not be pleasing our Lord... the pros - its during those moments that we can have the privilege of going before the Lord and to go into His presence and hear God's whisper to us. During those moments its when God can speak to us ever soooo clearly... and He will calm our minds and heart... So my word to my daughter is to float... when I see her getting ughhhh I tell her float... its our special word, with our special teaching.

During a trip to one of my favorite stores - Hobby Lobby - I found a little plaque that reads: "Let us be silent that we may hear the whisper of God". I kept it near my bed which is where I tend to retreat to when life gets to me... and it would remind me to shhhhhh - listen to God, stop with all the thoughts, stop talking, shhhh - listen. I have now passed it on to my daughter. I told her to place it somewhere she can always see it so when "things" get to her - and she needs to go to her room - she can see it and remember to float, relax, calm down and listen for God's whisper.

So my friend - I pray this will be a blessing to you...  when things get tough, when life gets hard... retreat somewhere... even if its just for a couple of minutes and go to God... and listen to His whisper...  hmmmm - and what a sweet and loving whisper that will be.