Trying to teach a lesson... lesson learned!

This year I thought it would be a great idea to introduce a "word" a month to the Daughters of the King - the beautiful young ladies of our CrossLife young adult ministry - so they can to pray and meditate on and see how it can be applied to their lives.

Well I thought it was a great idea, don't you???

Ughhhh - well not anymore lol... The word I decided we would start off with is "Sensitive"- to take the focus off of us and make us aware of others. There are times when the Lord sends people our way and we are so caught up in our own lives and our own problems that we miss out on opportunities to be a blessing to someone else. To be more sensitive to the needs of the other girls in the group - how we approach each other, pray for each other, etc.

I believed that the Lord would think this was a fantastic idea - but I am beginning to feel that He feels the need to try it out on me first!!! ahhhhhh - doesn't He remember that He gave me extra doses of sensitivity!!!

Those of you who know me - know of my "issue" - my sensitivity makes me cry at a drop of a dime... Ray makes jokes about it and says that in the bible times I would have been hired left and right...

"Professional mourners have played a part in funeral ceremonies for thousands of years. In many countries, tradition dictates that the family of the dead, especially children and grandchildren, must express their grief in a very outward manner. Not crying enough or at sufficient decibel levels would be seen as a lack of filial piety so people started hiring professional mourners to ensure a noisy and very passionate farewell."

Therefore thus says the LORD, the God of hosts, the Lord: “In all the squares there shall be wailing, and in all the streets they shall say, ‘Alas! Alas!’ They shall call the farmers to mourning and to wailing those who are skilled in lamentation, 
Amos 5:16

My hand up in the air waving it frantically - me me - I'm skilled in wailing and lamentation!!!

It doesn't take much for the tears to come flowing down... a hallmark commercial... a great message... someone's story... thinking of my kids... a movie... oh the list can just go on and on.... and personally its even a good thing to help clear the tear ducts... 

"Hmmmmm but hold on" the Lord speaks to my heart... "that is not the type of sensitivity I am speaking about" He whispers to me ever so gently - as my heart begins to well up.   I know what He is saying - but like a rebellious child I answer back: What are you talking about Lord??  lol!!! (I just crack myself up - because as soon as I finish my question I start to wonder - why why why did I ask Him) I knew what He was speaking to my heart about... and now the lessons come - and it comes in full force and its starting to hurt.  No turning back this time around.

You know what I'm talking about I'm sure - those moments when we ignore someone... maybe don't take the time to really find out how someone is doing, maybe we are just not nice to them... or we rush the conversation... pretend we don't see them... maybe we hurt someone's feelings... oh the list can go on and on...

And yes, we can use the excuse and say - well we are human.. we all have our moments - we all have bad days... but then there are those moments when we know what we did and the Lord gently tugs at our hearts - bringing to light what we have done and how we have hurt someone... oh now that hurts - when the Lord brings to our mind the pain we have caused another...

Now what do we do... how can we "pretend" we didn't hear the Lord speaking to us or nudging at our heart. How can we look at the individual the same way after the Lord reveals truth to us.

Apologizing is a way of recognizing our sins. We need to accept responsibility for our actions.  We need to repent.

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. 
The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. 
James 5:16

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.


Ephesians 4:32


By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.
John 13:35

It is so very hard to admit you have hurt someone - especially someone you love and care for.  Its hard to get beyond ourselves and go and ask for forgiveness... to put the me aside...  

To be sensitive to the Lord's leading...
To be sensitive to the needs of others...

Oh this is so not easy - but we are called to be Christlike - 

Whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.
1 John 2:6

Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.
1 Corinthians 1:11

For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.
1 Peter 2:21

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
Ephesians 5:1-2

May these lyrics by Brandon Heath's song "Give me Your Eyes" be our prayer:

Give me Your eyes for just one second
Give me Your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me Your love for humanity
Give me Your arms for the broken-hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me Your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me Your eyes so I can see

Its not a wonderful feeling when my Heavenly Father disciplines me and tells me go and apologize. Its like I've let Him down... but the beautiful part of this is that He does that because He loves me. 
 
“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him.
For the Lord disciplines the one he loves,"
Hebrews 12:5-6

Praising God for his tough but awesome lesson... now I can go to my beautiful Daughters of the King and truly say - let us be sensitive to others - let us take the focus off us and be aware of others - and be able to truly share my heart and be real... because I've taken that step.