Background

Merriam-Webster's dictionary defines the word back·ground as:
noun, often attributive \ˈbak-ˌ(g)rau̇nd\
: the part of a scene or picture that is farthest from the viewer : the part of a scene that is behind a main figure or object in a painting, photograph, etc.
: a surface or color that is behind or around something (such as a printed design)
: a position that attracts little attention

On Tuesday mornings I am attending a bible study.  

Its a big deal that I am able to attend because its during work and praise God my Pastor has encouraged me to attend!!

The bible study is a simple bible study.  We are studying the book of James. It has been an incredible blessing to get together with other women and dig deep into this book and see what we can learn from it and how we can apply it to our lives.  

So what is the connection between background and the book of James...

The teacher...


The lady leading this bible study is Sue Santos.  I, and many others find her to be an incredible woman of God with a beautiful and humble heart.  She is an encourager, always pointing you to the Lord.  In the midst of whatever situation she may be facing - she is always thinking of others and how can she serve them.  She has had her ups and downs in life as many of us have had - but from what I know of her, what others have shared of her, what she has shared... Sue has never compromised or taken the easy way out.  She had to grow up very young in life but always strived to do and be the very best she could despite whatever circumstances she could be facing.

When I was thinking about Sue - a dear friend Rebekah came to mind - she is another young lady who thinks highly of Sue and knows her well.  I asked her to share her thoughts on Sue to get someone else's viewpoint... and these are the beautiful words she had to say:

"When I think of Sue, I think of my favorite verse Psalm 16:8.
"I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken."
I see a woman that God has used in so many ways to keep her family together. To raise her sons and daughter. She is an exceptional grandmother and such a wise woman.
Very few know the pain she lives with because she's not one to complain
For me, she is what David writes about in this verse. Facing challenges her whole life, but because she has always put the Lord first, she will not be shaken.
I hope to be like that one day. That people will see me and know that it's Christ who is my strength,
She's awesome."

You see one word that Sue has repeated several times in our bible studies is the word background... Sue does not like the spotlight on her but on Jesus... its all about Him and making sure He is front and center of our conversations, of our studies.  She always wants to make sure that the study doesn't take a detour and become about her in any way... and she repeats how she is in the background... 

Each time I hear her say this - I am reminded of the song by Lecrae - Background. The first time I heard her say it and describe why she was saying it the song came to mind - its like she was quoting the lyrics.  Some of the lyrics are:
"It's evident You run the show, so let me back down.
You take the leading role, and I'll play the background.
I know I miss my cues, know I forget my lines
I'm sticking to Your script, and I'm reading all Your signs.
I don't need my name in lights.
I don't need a starring role.
And why gain the whole wide world, if I'm just gon' loose my soul.
And my ways ain't pure if I don't live according to Your Word.
I can't endure this life without Your wisdom being heard.
So word to every dancer for a pop star,
Cause we all play the background, but mine's a Rock Star.
Yeah. So if you need me I'll be stage right.
Prayin' the whole world will start embracing stage fright.
So let me fall back and stop giving my suggestions
Cause when I follow my obsessions I end up confessing.
That I'm not that impressive, matter of fact I'm who I are.
A trail of star dust leading to the Superstar."

I am blessed to have this incredible woman of God in my life and my children's lives. I am thankful that I am able to learn from her - not only what teaches during bible study - but by her actions... Thankful that when I sit to speak to her - she isn't sharing her opinions or suggestions - but sharing scripture and pointing me towards Him.

Thank you Sue for being in the background, so that His light may shine through you!  This song is for you!!